[Neuroscience] Pharmacological induced "spontaneous" activity in vitro.

tehgabriel at web.de tehgabriel at web.de
Mon Apr 3 06:45:41 EST 2006

Hi!

I have a question concerning sources of spontaneous activity in brain
slices:
Can solely application of GABA_A antagonists (e.g. bicuculline)
initiate spiking activity in cortical neurons (in vitro!)?
I know there is plenty of literature concerning effects of bucuculline
in the hippocampus. But I am interested how bicuculline might affect
network activity in structures that usually show no spontaneous spike
activity (e.g. prefrontal cortex).
Any ideas? Any references?

Thanks for your comments!

Regards,