[Neuroscience] Alzheimer's Disease questions

L. J. Miller lmillermom at insightbb.com
Thu Apr 6 16:49:58 EST 2006

I lectured on Alzheimer's last night to my undergraduates, and they
had a few questions that I couldn't answer.......

1) Does the brain of a severe AD patient feel "hard"?  I showed
pictures of a regular brain and an AD brain.  I think I read
somewhere that the AD brain loses its "sponginess", but what does it
feel like?

2)  I showed a graph demonstrating the increasing AD rates and
projected AD rates, and AD is expected to skyrocket.  Someone asked
if that's because of increasing diagnosis or related to the
increasing elderly population.  Or is there some *factor* for
increasing AD?

Thanks!