[Neuroscience] Re: Alzheimer's Disease questions

Peter F 19eimc_minus19 at ozemail.com.au
Thu Apr 6 20:18:32 EST 2006

"L. J. Miller" <lmillermom at insightbb.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.507.1144370217.16885.neur-sci at net.bio.net...
>I lectured on Alzheimer's last night to my undergraduates, and they had a
>few questions that I couldn't answer.......
>
> 1) Does the brain of a severe AD patient feel "hard"?  I showed pictures
> of a regular brain and an AD brain.  I think I read somewhere that the AD
> brain loses its "sponginess", but what does it feel like?
>
> 2)  I showed a graph demonstrating the increasing AD rates and projected
> AD rates, and AD is expected to skyrocket.  Someone asked if that's
> because of increasing diagnosis or related to the increasing elderly
> population.  Or is there some *factor* for increasing AD?
>
> Thanks!

It is not inconceivable that brains would feel less spongy
for the reason that the blood vessels in an "AD brain" would
be less flexible than in a non-AD brain.

It might be crucial to the quality of your lecturing
(i.e., how much of the truth you actually teach)
that you inform yourself about the latest insights into AD
via this link:
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s1610402.htm

(I saw this program on TV last night. Just found the link to the
program's webpage.)

Cheers,
Peter