[Neuroscience] Re: Hardness of learning: Artificial vs. Biological Neural Nets

Michael Olea oleaj at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 11 02:36:26 EST 2006

hmobahi at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has there ever been shown any correlation between hardness of learning
> a problem for human being and any artificial neural net model? For
> instance, we know that patterns whose features are not linearly
> separable are harder to be learned by an MLP. Has any one ever
> investigated this issue in human side to see if human has difficulty in
> classifying patterns whose boundary in not linearly separable? I am not
> talking about a general experiment; even a very specific experiment,
> say psychophysics, in a specified domain is also sufficient for my
> purpose.

Yes, there has been.

Start with these:

Predictability, complexity and learning. W Bialek, I Nemenman & N Tishby,
Neural Comp 13, 2409-2463 (2001).

http://www.princeton.edu/~wbialek/learning_links.html

Ilya Nemenman. Fluctuation-dissipation theorem and models of learning.
Neural Comp., 17(9):2006-2033, 2005.

http://www.menem.com/ilya/digital_library/full.html

for a solid theoretical background, then chase references therein for
experiments more specific to your questions.

-- Michael