[Neuroscience] To AE (was making sense...)

polly jo jopower at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 17:28:29 EST 2006

Hi GS,

"GS: Think about the notion that what we see is some
sort of distorted copy of the world. According to this
view, the world is copied (albeit upside-down and
distorted) on the retina. This copy is then split up
into parts and sent scrambling around the brain, but
its sum total is still some kind of representation
(actually, this gives rise to the pseudo-problem
called the "binding problem"). This process continues
on and on, but not infinitely. At some point there
must be some other part of the brain that "sees" or
otherwise "utilizes this information." But that would
mean that
there is a sort of seeing or "information utilization"
that does not require copies. But why can seeing the
world not be of this sort?"

...the last part of the argument is intriguing.....
what sort of a system would utilize the information
directly, I wonder....
I imagine you are making a distinction between the
"real" and the "percept"..... the argument is
circular, however, if ones reality is ones perception
of reality..... how would then one distinguish between
the two... I am also assuming a certain increase in
"information entropy" as it travels from say retina to
the layer IV of the visual cortex