[Neuroscience] ref to Dobelle, Brindley or Lewin paper

Harry Whitaker hwhitake at nmu.edu
Wed Apr 26 14:01:24 EST 2006

I was searching for an old paper written by one of the pioneers of direct cortical stimulation of calcarine cortex as a prosthesis for the blind, so that I could verify one piece of content. Any chance you can help? What I remember from reading that paper is that there was a question as to how large to make the pilot electrodes and so calcarine cortex was measured in a number of cadaver brains. The result of that measurement was that the exposed calcarine cortex could vary up to 10x. Hopefully my memory hasn't turned to fuzz! If you know of this reference, I would certainly appreciate some help; and if you know the facts I was trying to recall, that would even be more appreciated!

cheers
Whit

Harry A. Whitaker, PhD
Department of Psychology