[Neuroscience] Re: Why can't human statue stand?

r norman NotMyRealEmail at _comcast.net
Fri Apr 28 11:13:25 EST 2006

On 28 Apr 2006 08:59:09 -0700, "neo" <AbheJet at gmail.com> wrote:

>Suppose there is human statue of cement in standing position. We human
>being can remain in standing position. But why can't this statue remain
>standing even if it is exact like our body?

Of course a human statue can stand.  There are many examples around
the world!

You probably mean "why can't a human statue not firmly attached
stand?"  It can, statically.  However any small horizontal force, like
the wind, will tend to topple it.  We react by contracting muscles to
shift our balance for small forces and by moving the position of our
feet for larger forces.  When the forces get strong enough, we fall
over.  Statues have a very difficult time responding to outside
disturbances so either their feet are firmly fixed to the ground or
they fall over much more easily than we do.