[Neuroscience] Re: Spin out

neuro-OT ta16 at sprynet.com
Fri Aug 11 21:40:21 EST 2006

Matt Menge wrote:
> I am currently reading "Psychiatry, Psychoanlysis, and the New Biology
> of the Mind" by Eric Kandel.  He mentions that developing neurons "spin
>
> out" their axons.  Is this just a figure of speech or is there
> something that actually spins?
>
> Matt

Yes,
as neurons develop the axons actually do spin--or branch out--to
interact with neighboring dendrites via neurochemicals that guide their
path. of course, the axon is the communicating branch of the neuron and
the dendrite is the receiving end of the neuron. each neuron has
contact between 1,000 to 10,000 other neurons. this calculated with the
total number of neurons within the brain yields 10 to the 31st power as
an estimated total of number interactions. each second there are
100,000 chemical reactions within the brain.