[Neuroscience] Grandmother Cell Theory

simple_one davidglt7 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 20 07:26:27 EST 2006

Hello everyone,

I appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction and write
down for me some book or article references that invalidate the
grandmother/gnostic cells theory.

I ran a search on PubMed and the only new relevant article that came up
was the "Genealogy of the Grandmother Cell" by Charles G Gross.

I have a background in computer science and I have been studying
neuroscience by myself for a couple of years now.

Unfortunately some of the arguments presented in there in favor of
having  a piece of information represented as an ensemble of cells seem
to me that they actually give credit to the gnostic cell theory. Like
this argument: "Even the most selective face cells usually also
discharge, if more weakly, to a variety of individual faces".

Most of the other books and articles I have read don't deal with this
theory at all so I assume that perhaps it was invalidated some time
ago.

Thanks in advance.