[Neuroscience] Re: Philosophical Foundations of Neuroscience

Michael Olea via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by oleaj At sbcglobal.net)
Tue Dec 5 21:16:15 EST 2006

Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote:

> In article <sWJch.7054$wc5.3556 At newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>,
>  Michael Olea <oleaj At sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote:
>> > ...  It's a type of thinking
>> > which is plausible but erroneous, in fact I would say that the entire
>> > "strong AI" discipline rests on this kind of erroneous attempt to
>> > isolate thought from its physical substrate.
>>
>> Are you suggesting that "an entire community of intellects [is] missing
>> an obvious point?"
>
> OW!  Got me!

Aw, shucks; I didn't think you really meant it.

You might be right about Kurzweil. I don't know enough about his stuff to
judge, but those few blurbs and out of context quotes I have seen have been
enough to induce contractions in my gut.

On the other hand, I did deliver a commercial speech recognition product
using Entropic libraries.

Cheers,
Michael