[Neuroscience] Re: Action Potential Peak

theanvah at gmail.com theanvah at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 23:01:22 EST 2006

Hi folks,

I'm trying to understand when the peak of an action potential is
reached.  I understand the Hodgkin cycle and the initial mechanisms of
the action potential.

So, here we are on the rising phase of an AP.  Most of our Na channels
are open and the Na conductance is increasing.  Bam - our K+
conductance is starting to increase.  I would have guessed that the AP
peak occurs when the difference between the sodium and potassium
conductance is at the highest.  Ater the net conductance starts to fall
and we'll be in the falling phase.

I modelled this using Neuron and I don't see it.  I notice that the AP
peak occurs a few milliseconds before the conductance peak occurs.
What am I missing?  Thanks!

Anvah.