[Neuroscience] Nifedipine issue

SJM Guzman jose.guzman at medizin-uni-leipzig.de
Wed Feb 8 11:35:01 EST 2006

Dear newsgroup members:

I'm recording EPSCs of rat brain slices. I am interested in studying the
role of calcium channels in LTD plasticity. My  personal is that the
N-type is the most probably source of intracellular calcium to induce LTD.

I would like to test this hypothesis with different toxins. I tried
first Nifedipine, but the treatment seems to be really hard for the
cells . At this moment only 7 cells out of 26 survived to be recorded,
and didn't show any  modification of the LTD. I guess with
gamma-connotoxine should happen the same.

My question is if somebody else experienced the same problem, and if I
should describe this fact (7 cells of 26...) in the paper for
publication (most of the papers I read about it for nifedipine treatment
never, do not mention this issue).

Thank you very much in advance.

SJM Guzman

--