[Neuroscience] Instant replay may help to mould memories

jason jkrah_dot_geo_ at yahoo_dot.com
Mon Feb 13 17:55:01 EST 2006

(my very small contribution to the group)..
Most of you may have seen this aarticle already but I think it is bloody
amazing..

http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060206/full/060206-13.html

(heres a small extract)

..."As the rats ran along the track, the nerve cells fired in a very
specific sequence. This is not surprising, because certain cells in this
region are known to be triggered when an animal passes through a
particular spot in a space.

But the researchers were taken aback by what they saw when the rats were
resting. Then, the same brain cells replayed the sequence of electrical
firing over and over, but in reverse and speeded up. "It's absolutely
original; no one has ever seen this before at all," says Edvard Moser,
who studies memory at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology
in Trondheim."