[Neuroscience] Re: entorhinal cortex

konstantin kouzovnikov myukhome at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 26 15:04:37 EST 2006

Dear Peter and Petra:

How nice it is to realize that some ideas are indeed in the air!

I've read your comments with intense interest. Only a postgrad, I would only
comment on the following:

-	a number of people have looked at the trauma issue in dementia, AD-type.
Some ruled it out completely. Some are still wondering. Those who have ruled
it out , I think, used the so called PTSD symptom screening measures. I
think the behavioral measures have only so much ability to discern. There is
a need for a neurobiological marker, i.e. a combined neuropsych/neuroimaging
pattern. I think the absence of this, on one hand, and
-	the barrier between two or more qualitatively different types of
investigation (watching metabolic correlates, but not…say, information
processing type) is another problem preventing for finding an answer sooner.

In short, there is a need for a COMPREHENSIVE, i.e. methodologically
COMPLETE type of studies which is… hard to come by.

Aside from these, I am fully supporting Peter's view on pathogenesis of
dementia, AD-type, i.e. in relation to the Trauma-factor. When it comes to
the brain regions involved, I am afraid until we understand tghe information
processing in general, there will be a huge methodological problem to
identify what's happening under the influence of a super-trauma and the
sequella born by it.

However, unless there is an approach which investigates the PROCESS of the
illness, starting with a comprehensive investigation of the onset symptoms,
especially with NSS – neurological soft signs, moving onto identification of
the sequella of the brain regions involved, then interpreting the
consequentially induced information processing deficits/disruptions, and
then considering the appearance of the stable metabolic and biochemical
changes, would be a way to go. So far… it's just bits and pieces…

so, having only the background in clin psych and a bit of related
experience, could I ask you, guys, to send me the info on both the described
evidence of the traumatic experience as well as on oxidative cell stress?

all the best, as well ,thanks for the Love, Petra

Cheers,

Konstantin