[Neuroscience] Postsynatic currents vs postsynaptic potentials.

SJM Guzman jose.guzman at medizin-uni-leipzig.de
Mon Feb 27 07:12:34 EST 2006

Dear R. Norman:

Once again, thank you very much for your nice explanations. As I
understand of your comments, it is always desirable to acquire currents
better than potentials when studying synaptic responses (i.e to
Glutamate, GABA or ACh among others...). Is this issue only due to
technical limitations?. For example, intracellular recordings provide a
big leak current, and that's the reason the people only record
potentials. Field potentials represent a population of cells, and this
is not suitable to study single responses....

Anyway, even under path-clamp conditions you wrote that unless we
suffice the space-clamp conditions, or have a patch of membrane, is
impossible to study the conductance. If we discard these two issues, is
always desirable to acquire PSC better than PSP?

The question is that I don't understand why is better to record current
component of potential....).

As you can see, I'm just starting in this exciting field, and I am quite
new. A little bit of would be really of guide would be very appreciable!

On the other hand, would you be so nice to tell where I can access the
papers of Hodgkin and Katz 1949, the Hille book (my bedside book) only
refers the experiments... and a more detailed experimental approach
would be very interesting for me.

Thanks you very much in advance for your time!

--
ÿþS