[Neuroscience] Re: Use of viral vectors to direct growth of neural cones.

r norman NotMyRealEmail at _comcast.net
Tue Jan 3 12:15:17 EST 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 17:15:07 +0100, "Brian.D.Duryee"
<briandd at broadpark.no> wrote:

>Hi,
>I had a thought some years ago (more precisely; 7-8 years), and the thought
>was; why not use viral vectors (as in virus strains), specifically developed
>to target individual neurons or neuronal groups, and direct their growth
>accordingly to the new 'program'. I know it might sound a bit stupid to ask,
>but I'll do anyway. Anybody else who has had the same thought???

Lots of things sound interesting in theory.  But do you have any
experience using viral vectors to  introduce genes into cells?  Do you
know how to target individual neurons or groups?  Do you know how to
direct and 'program' growth?  Is programmed growth even controlled
entirely within a single cell or does it depend also on cells along
the growth pathway and the target?