[Neuroscience] Re: How would the brain react to extreme nociception w/out the automomic responses?

Peter F fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jan 26 22:15:45 EST 2006

"Radium" <glucegen1 at excite.com> wrote in message
news:1138297990.652069.103420 at g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> Doesn't pain cause the frequency of brain waves to increase?

No!

Pain (and fear, as well) IS an increased frequency of certain neurons'
firing.

You like so many people perpetuate a conceptual confusion between
psychophysiological states of pain and fear and  immediate lifetime
environmental/situational causes of distress.

I use distress as an umbrella term for subjective and known and unknown
objective physiological and behavioral correlates of anywhere from a
specific (or clearly 'identified') to a most diffuse experience of pain
or fear;
That is, we can be distressfully conscious in a specific - hence more
likely to become successfully self-regulatory - way

"Distressors" = Direct environmental/coincidental/situational _causes_
of
1. "physical pain" associated with physical injury and somatic
inflamation;
2. "psychosomatic" pain (phantom pain) and "psychological pain" and of
fear.

"Psychological pain", and fear, can be described as the 'emotional
inflamation' that results from instinctive or learnt, with sensory
impressions associated, anticipation of physical or psychosocial injury
or death.

N.B. people normally don't use the words "pain" and "fear" in the sense
of something that we "become conscious of", since states of pain or fear
is by implicit definition a phenomena of consciousness - however,
consciousness is, by further definition, not just a cognitive
(language-associated) state that incorporates a sense of self, or
self-awareness.

And we can be distressfully conscious in a (relatively) non-specific
way - a way that in general is less likely to lead to successful
self-regulation.

Distress has an affective-motivational dimension and a sensory
discriminative dimension.

When a distressor is traumatizing, then, in accordance with a far from
'inEPT' definition of
trauma [~=a "hibernation" that is synaptic and specific (in contrast to
general) imploring/inducing type stressors that may traumatize at a
tardy as well as at a "top tempo" pace], the subsystems of neurons that
loosely correspond to
these dimensions are both selectively synaptically blocked by automatic
inhibitory feedback.

As the traumatizing stressor (or situation) ceases to exist the inertia
of relevant 'conditioned-in' aftereffects
(both LTP and LTD type changes) tends to be maintained while learning by
interactions with opportune as well as adverse environmental factors
continue, and often build not just on innate behavioral programs and
sensorimotor contingencies
but on and around traumatically acquired unconscious memories.

This category of insidious memories can be called CURSES [with elastic
pragmatism to stand for Conditioned-in, Unconsciously Remembered,
Stressors, Effecting Symptoms].

Depending on the developmental period in which
a traumatitizing predicament occurred, and the nature of the traumatic
event or situation, the more likely it is that the insidious dynamic
consequence
in the form of  CURSES (that one or more SHITS as if left behind in a
brainy individual's
"actention selection system") eventually leads to bizarre behavioral
and/or serious somatic symptoms.

However, the never totally perfectly contained Long-Term Potentiated
aspect of traumatic memories (or CURSES) can be Naturally (including
culturally) "rerouted" (not just metaphorically so) into becoming an
endogenous source
of motivation behind not just entirely negative symptoms but of
preoccupations and
pursuits that people at large approve of - in some cases so much so that
they persons
with such "successful AEVASIVE styles" on pedestal.

I leave you (those of you whose brain is not completely inEPTly
AEVASIVE) to glimpse for yourself
the shockingly large scope of human relevance that what I just mentioned
entails.

> Does pain otherwise have any noticeable affect on brain waves that
> could be seen on a EEG?

Without your entirely unrealistic thought-experimental setup, then yes.

At least some pain can be detected with 'cold hard objectivity' - given
suitable brain scanning equipment.