[Neuroscience] Re: Q's about the distribution and roles of spiking neurons in the brain

Michael Olea oleaj at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 5 17:45:20 EST 2006

Michael Olea wrote:

> borg at swirve.com wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've only recently started reading about spiking neurons.  One of the
>> first papers I read was "Which Model to Use for Cortical Spiking
>> Neurons" by Izhikevich, which illustrates the spiking behaviour of 20
>> different types of biological spiking neurons.  However, what I haven't
>> been able to discover with my preliminary reading is whether specific
>> types of spiking neurons are localized to specific areas of the brain
>> or whether all types are distributed evenly.  In addition, I have not
>> been able to find anything definate about specific functional roles of
>> the various types of spiking neuron behavior in the brain, either
>> singularly or in combination.
>
>> So, where should I go next?  Do my questions even have known or
>> theorized answers?  Any good references, papers, or books that are
>> recommended for further reading?
>
> Not exactly what you are asking, but you might be interested anyway in
> "Spikes: Exlporing the Neural Code":
>
> http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=3884
>
> And perhaps some papers here:
>
> http://www.princeton.edu/~wbialek/categories.html

This one, for example:

An information theoretic approach to the functional classification of
neurons. E Schneidman, W Bialek, & MJ Berry II, in Advances in Neural
Information Processing 15, S Becker, S Thrun & K Obermayer, eds, pp 197-204
(MIT Press, Cambridge, 2003).

Available here:

http://www.princeton.edu/~wbialek/more_coding_links.html

-- Michael