[Neuroscience] Re: Electrical potency of a brain under different conditions?

Zerge zerge at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 8 22:18:58 EST 2006

Fabrizio J Bonsignore wrote:
> Can you point me to some reference of the potency a brain can develop
> in terms of electrical power? (brain as a universal computing paradigm
> would give a different concept of potency). My interest is the analogy
> between a brain and a radio emissor. I assume there is normal level of
> activity giving a base potency, lowering during sleep (?), but what
> would be the potency of a fully activated brain? I mean, if all or most
> of the brain mass is activated at the same time... how would it compare
> to other sources of EM radiation?

When electrons flow through a metal cable, it is the movement of the
electron through space what generates an electromagnetic emission.
In the case of neurons, electrons don't actually flow like they do on
metal cables. Rather, it is a process of polarization between the
membrane of the dendrite and the interior of the dendrite: sodium and
potassium ions exchange places, and a polarization wave moves forward.
Since electrons do not flow large distances, there is no detectable
electromagnetic emission.