[Neuroscience] Re: Electrical potency of a brain under different conditions?

Phil Scott philscott at philscott.net
Mon Jul 10 19:52:59 EST 2006

"Zerge" <zerge at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1152415138.572536.4420 at 35g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

> Fabrizio J Bonsignore wrote:
>> Can you point me to some reference of the potency a brain
>> can develop
>> in terms of electrical power? (brain as a universal
>> computing paradigm
>> would give a different concept of potency). My interest is
>> the analogy
>> between a brain and a radio emissor. I assume there is
>> normal level of
>> activity giving a base potency, lowering during sleep (?),
>> but what
>> would be the potency of a fully activated brain? I mean, if
>> all or most
>> of the brain mass is activated at the same time... how
>> would it compare
>> to other sources of EM radiation?
>
> When electrons flow through a metal cable, it is the
> movement of the
> electron through space what generates an electromagnetic
> emission.
> In the case of neurons, electrons don't actually flow like
> they do on
> metal cables. Rather, it is a process of polarization
> between the
> membrane of the dendrite and the interior of the dendrite:
> sodium and
> potassium ions exchange places, and a polarization wave
> moves forward.
> Since electrons do not flow large distances, there is no
> detectable
> electromagnetic emission.

That was very very astute of you zerge... there are it seems
though EMF emmissions from the brain at the quantum level, but
only when many neurons fire at the same wave length at the
same time...such as with sudden cognition or surprise etc..

the search string for Dr Penroses research on that with the
math etc  is.
'penrose, Arizona, quantum mind, white paper'

Phil Scott