[Neuroscience] Re: How to record EEG & EMG on mice?

r norman NotMyRealEmail at _comcast.net
Sat Jul 29 10:43:10 EST 2006

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:16:35 +0800, "Hu Ji" <huji at ion.ac.cn> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I want to record EEG&EMG simultaneously to monitor sleep or awake status of mice.
>I have a setup can use to record four channels of signals on behaving mice.
>There are some questions:
>For EEG recording,
>Where I should choose to be groud?
>I want to choose occipital cortex(2-3mm lateral to the midline, 2mm posterior to bregma) and cerebellum(at midline, 1mm posterior) as recording site. And then use the potential from cerebellum subtract occipital as EEG. Am I right?
>For EMG recording,
>I insert two wires into the neckmuscle. Should I subtract potential from these two wires or plus them?
>Thank you in advance!

Ground can be pretty much anywhere but should be close to the
recording electrodes to help reduce noise and interference pickup.
Since the EEG electrodes pick up a much smaller signal than the EMG
ones, put the ground nearer those to help eliminate noise.

I don't know about the EEG configuration.

The EMG signal should go into a differential input preamp that
subtracts them to eliminate "common mode" noise and interference.