[Neuroscience] Re: How to record EEG & EMG on mice?

r norman NotMyRealEmail at _comcast.net
Sat Jul 29 10:43:10 EST 2006

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:16:35 +0800, "Hu Ji" <huji at ion.ac.cn> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I want to record EEG&EMG simultaneously to monitor sleep or awake status of mice.
>I have a setup can use to record four channels of signals on behaving mice.
>There are some questions:
>For EEG recording,
>Where I should choose to be groud?
>I want to choose occipital cortex(2-3mm lateral to the midline, 2mm posterior to bregma) and cerebellum(at midline, 1mm posterior) as recording site. And then use the potential from cerebellum subtract occipital as EEG. Am I right?
>
>For EMG recording,
>I insert two wires into the neckmuscle. Should I subtract potential from these two wires or plus them?
>
>Thank you in advance!
>
>Jim

Ground can be pretty much anywhere but should be close to the
recording electrodes to help reduce noise and interference pickup.
Since the EEG electrodes pick up a much smaller signal than the EMG
ones, put the ground nearer those to help eliminate noise.

I don't know about the EEG configuration.

The EMG signal should go into a differential input preamp that
subtracts them to eliminate "common mode" noise and interference.