[Neuroscience] Re: Thought and firing neurons

r norman NotMyRealEmail at _comcast.net
Thu Jun 8 07:07:00 EST 2006

On 7 Jun 2006 23:18:46 -0700, "chadmaester" <chad.d.johnson at gmail.com>
wrote:

>When our brain receive external inputs, it triggers neurons to fire in
>a cascading manner, which I guess is what thought is.
>
>My question is, does thought involve anything more than (in general)
>the firing of neurons? If not, then what is our short-term memory for?
>Does processed information somehow get transferred to and stored
>temporarily there? If so, then is short-term memory centralized
>somewhere in the brain, and then if so, how does it get transferred
>there?
>
>Thanks in advance!

If you can explain "thought" by the firing of neurons, then please
keep December 10 open for a trip to Sweden because the Nobel
Foundation is sure to come calling.

More seriously, the working out of brain function involves far more
than neurons 'firing' action potentials.  There is an enormous amount
of analog (continuously variable) signal processing going on in the
microcircuitry of the dendrites and anaxonal or short axonal neurons,
not to mention all the biochemical and molecular biological of the
second messenger metabotropic synapses to account for.  All these
factors probably play a larger role in establishing the phenomenon we
call 'thought' than simple action potentials.

Short term memory has many guises and is important for all aspects of
neural function including sensory and motor processing.  There is no
one single short-term memory store.