[Neuroscience] Re: How many neurons are used?

Glen M. Sizemore gmsizemore2 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 18 08:30:36 EST 2006

"Matthew Kirkcaldie" <m.kirkcaldie at removethis.unsw.edu.au> wrote in message
news:m.kirkcaldie-59B2A9.22393518062006 at un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com...
> In article <449515ab$0$4173$ed362ca5 at nr1.newsreader.com>,
> "Glen M. Sizemore" <gmsizemore2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Despite the auto-congratulatory, arm-breaking back-patting of
>> neuroscientists, we understand very, very little about how the nervous
>> system mediates behavioral function. We are about at the level where we
>> understand habituation of the gill-withdrawal reflex in Aplysia.
>
> Uh, exactly how is saying "I have no idea, just like you"
> auto-congratulatory?  Or did you not read what I wrote?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was referring to a nebulous group of
neurobiologists (not that they are hard to find, though) that certainly do
not include everyone who has ever done anything in the field. I specifically
did not intend it to be a critique of you and, indeed, it was posted to
express agreement with, and to elaborate on, your post. Your reading of my
post seems a little uncharitable, in this respect, as I said more than "I
don't know." I suggested that the conceptual structure of mainstream
psychology (cognitive "science") is flawed, has corrupted much of
neurobiology, and stands between us and a science of the physiological
mediation of behavioral function.

Regards,

Glen