[Neuroscience] Re: New Scientist article: "Are child abuse and schizophrenia linked?"

John H. j_hasenkam at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 19 22:01:11 EST 2006

1.

There is absolutely no doubt that early childhood plays a fundamental
role in shaping brain function later in life. The literature is full of
that stuff, just look at maternal deprivation studies. Early childhood
trauma has very significant impacts on cerebral maturation.

2.

Environmental influences have been downplayed because it doesn't sound
scientific enough, much more scientific to rabble on about alleles and
DaD2 antagonists, though sadly most psychiatrists have overlooked the
pioneering work of Horrobin in relation to prostaglandin and second
messenger dynamics.

3.

Going back to their childhood requires psychotherapy, and that is a bad
word these days.

4.

Even in the article below the thesis is attacked because of fears about
downstream effects (eg. the parents did it). This really is a spurious
approach to the problem. Look for the truth first, worry about the
consequences later. Seriously, using these arguments about concerns for
blaming the parents leaves me baffled, some bloody parents should be
blamed from here to eternity!

5.

The research does not assert that childhood abuse induces
schizophrenia, simply identifies it as one cause, so the downstream
arguments are also rather weak in that regard.

6.

It is about time the mental health community realised that a much
broader perspective is needed to understand these issues.

7.

Forget about "mostly linked" to anything, we are a long way from
understanding causative processes.

John.

Regards,

John.