[Neuroscience] Re: New Scientist article: "Are child abuse andschizophrenia linked?"

konstantin kouzovnikov myukhome at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 20 11:33:34 EST 2006

    > Are child abuse and schizophrenia linked?

They say that the majority of the problem is where it has'n began yet. Who
was this female American writer who said that every question can be
answered, but the point is it has to be formulated correctly.

There is little doubt that what John has written is true. Well, in a way..
It all depends on what we call schizophrenia. Theoretically speaking, is it
possible to develop a condition fitting the criteria for schizophrenia as
purely a result of developmentally (environmentally) induced trauma? Sure.
On another hand, isn't the "other schizophrenia" is a highly inheritable
condition? Sure. Is it possible to have a brother called Darrel and to have
another brother called Darrel? Absolutely, I've seen it on TV. Since the
latter (the condition, not the other Darrel), without no doubt, can be
triggered developmentally, it is the combination of the two is not a point
of the contention, but the conditions viewed as the "pure" results of
either. Is it possible to have a number of schizophrenias? How could it be
questioned if some of "them" are not treatable? (Captain Spoke would
considered as illogical calling a condition A if the A related medication is
not working).

So, can we wait until we do get one question answered, first? Could we
decide what is and what is not schizophrenia? AS though we need to have
additional argument that children do better if the adults treat them
right...Hence my old argument: if the assessment procedure is done right
which requires right public policies/laws and public money, this is not a
question which cannot be answered as all the techniques assessing relevancy
of the developmental aspects of potential psychopathology are not only
available, they are as old as the way of making living by offering people an
advice. If you don't belive me then find James Prescott's web page regarding
violence and take a look at the old R.G. Heath's work on maternal
deprivation and neglect in monkeys in relation to... everything, including
psychotic symptoms.

In short, sure, any violation can cause in humans anything. As usua,l it
takes consistency and good enough level of physical or psychological
violence causing a child  to feel as against the wall.

Cheers,

Konstantin