[Neuroscience] Re: size of a baby's brain

Jeff kidsdoc2000 at hotmail.com
Mon May 15 19:39:29 EST 2006

"Jayne Lytel" <jl at diplomats.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.862.1147033118.16885.neur-sci at net.bio.net...
Hello,

I am writing a book on autism for Penguin (2007) and was hoping that one
of you might help, as I'm not a medical professional. I want to describe
the size of a baby's brain at birth. I've learned that it is about 350 cc
but wanted to use imagery of some kind to compare how big that is -- that
is the size of an orange or something like that. Can anyone help out with
that.

Thank you.

--Jayne Lytel

The adult human heart is about 310 g, so it is just a bit smaller than 350
(about 40 g smaller or about 10% smaller). The human heart is said to be
about the size of the adult fist. So you can say the newborn's brain is just
a little big than a clenched adult's fist. You can also go to the grocery
store, and find fruits that are about 12 oz and go from there.

Jeff