[Neuroscience] Re: Depression, behavior, and Neurobiology

Peter F 19eimc_minus19 at ozemail.com.au
Thu May 18 06:35:46 EST 2006

"John H." <j_hasenkam at yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:1147939992.896303.206750 at 38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> 18/05/2006 2:56PM
>
> Caveat: the hypothesis, more correctly appelled as a fancy, is that
> depression is caused by a chemical imbalance. Since the mental health
> community has felt free to engage this fancy I'm quite happy to carry
> it to its logical conclusion and in so doing note the warning of Camus,
> "It is always easy to be logical, it is almost impossible to be logical
> to the bitter end." (The Myth of Sisyphus)
>
> Low serotonin, dopamine, or norepinephrine are neurobiological
> correlates of depression(perhaps, maybe, so we are led to believe). To
> state that low serotonin causes depression is to overlook the fact that
> both occur simultaneously where as a cause needs to be antecedent.
> Hence what should be addressed is not low serotonin, but what has
> caused the low serotonin. The great danger is that in treating
> depression with drugs we are never getting at the primary causes of
> depression. Drugs cannot cure depression they can only manage it. Drugs
> should be seen as managing the condition and the commencement of
> treatment, not the end of treatment. Thankfully over the last several
> years the trend has been towards a more comprehensive therapeutic
> regime.
>
> What if you made a group of people behave in a depressive fashion,
> particularly with respect to neurotic thinking? For example, take a
> group of Australians and put them in one of their migrant detention
> centre camps. How long ... .Will this eventually lead to low
> serotonin\nore\dopamine? If so, what sorts of preconditions (eg. 5ht
> short allele, recent psychological or physical trauma, childhood
> neglect) will make individuals within this group more likely to show
> the neurobiological correlates typically associated with depression?
> Apart from the obvious neurotransmitters other candidates for
> observation would include: CRF - ACTH - CORT dynamics (depressives can
> exhibit high, low , and normal cort readings), acetylcholine, GABA
> (some evidence to suggest it falls in depression), interleukins 1,6,
> ifn gamma.

Excellent reasoning and exemplification!

And thanks for including the Camus quotation!
That guy must have been just about percEPTive! ;-)

> In short, can depressive behavior induce the neurobiological correlates
> of depression?

Was that how you meant it to read/mean?

After what you wrote beforehand I would have expected an
ironically rhetorical question, like:
".... can certain kinds of unavoidable adversity
(or ditto distressing experiences, or distressors)
give rise to the neurobiological correlates of depression?

Regards,

Peter