[Neuroscience] Re: Depression, behavior, and Neurobiology

SteveJohn1965 at gmail.com SteveJohn1965 at gmail.com
Wed May 24 12:17:39 EST 2006

"However, when increasing neurohormonal levels by utilizing medications
which block the reuptake of these hormones, a gradual return to the
non-depressive state occurs."

I have to dis-agree.  If this was true, patient should feel much better
within a day taking Prozal, Zoloft, Paxil.  It is well known, that the
patient should wait for 6~8 weeks before seeing benefits from SSRI.  If
this was just Serotonin, we should see effect in a day.  Serotonin
increase in body within 24hours.  Most the side effect from SSRI, kicks
in 24 hours, Sexual Dysfunction, tremor ....  showing the drug is doing
something in the body, however for managing the depression one has to
wait 6~8 weeks.

One idea being discuss is gene expression.  Gen expression need longer
time to accur while being under medication.  Serotonin has nothing to
do with it.

-Steve