[Neuroscience] Advice Requested: Whole Nerve CAP Recording.

mcholette at sjm.com mcholette at sjm.com
Tue May 30 17:41:01 EST 2006

Hello Everyone,

I need to record compound action potentials from a whole nerve
preparation.

I have been looking at amplifiers and data acquisition systems online.
So far, I
have been confused more than anything else.

The first package I looked at was from ADI Instruments, it has a 4
channel PowerLab
Data Acquisiton Unit, with appropriate SPike software for analysis,
combined with a Dagan 2400 a amplifier.  This package costs about $9K.

The Dagan amplifier has a gain of 10,000x.  The DAQ also apparently has
a gain factor.  I'm a bit concerned about this little gain.  I saw a
Grass-Telefactor amplifier with a gain of 200,000x for less money than
the Dagan.  The ADI rep assures me that this setup is made specifically
for extracellular nerve recording.

What setups are used out there?  Do you have anything to recommend for
me?  I'd hate to pay this much money and see nothing.

Thanks!

Martin :-)