[Neuroscience] Re: Neuroimmunology and Alzheimers

John H. via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by j_hasenkam At yahoo.com.au)
Wed Nov 29 22:59:12 EST 2006

Entertained by my own EIMC wrote:
> Apropos that
> "John H." <j_hasenkam At yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> news:1164319181.435286.71770 At 45g2000cws.googlegroups.com...
> More Insight Into Alzheimer's Disease With Discovery Of Possible Cause
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/11/061120181959.htm
> > Hence, as I have been telling people for years, one good dementia
> > strategy may be getting stoned once or twice a week. Of course no-one
> > believed me ... .
>
> It is safe to bet on that feeling and being
> satisfied/relaxed/cheerful/optimistic
> or pleasantly stimulated (and the like) is - because it is likely to be
> associated
> with optimal functioning of the brainbody system (or actention system) - an
> antidote to almost any kind of disease.

One of my criticisms of the current medical model is that it is too
reductive, ignoring psycho-social and environmental aspects in relation
to health. With my vision almost restored I am again taking up my
research for a health related website. Initially I focused on the
molecular stuff but now I am very much focusing on the neglected
aspects and what you are suggesting here has more going for it than
many currently appreciate.

It is true that a good attitude to life (yes, "good" is hard to know)
can make a profound difference to our health. What initially piqued my
interest in this was something I heard over 20 years ago: individuals
with terminal illnesses are better at predicting their survival time
than their doctors. I have seen it at a personal level too, where
people with a terminal illness literally give up the fight and a few
weeks later goodbye. What little reading I have done suggests that I
need to do a lot more reading.

The evidence strongly indicates that happiness improves the immune
response and generally has a facilitative effect on health. For an
excellent account of how happiness is both encouraged and discouraged
in modern society read: R Layard: Happiness: lessons from a new
science.

As to drugs, one psychologist I read recently stated that in his
opinion moderate drug use can be a marker of psychological health.
Here's an interest twist I read recently: so called gurus in the
Eastern tradition seem to have high rates of cancer! Go figure, anxious
to join the Great Ocean again? Anyway, what tends to be ignored is that
people do drugs for fun, just plain old fun. Fun may have more going
for it healthwise than all those supplements various people keeping
telling us we need for optimium health. Maintain a good diet, take a
few supps here and there but don't ignore having a good time. Those
bloody Puritans have a lot to answer for ... .

John.