[Neuroscience] Re: nanowire/synases

mimo_545 at hotmail.com mimo_545 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 1 20:09:11 EST 2006

r norman wrote:
>What do you mean by "flexible".  Do you mean they can be bent easily
>or do  you mean they are plastic, capable of changing their
>connections?  It would seem that neither concept of flexibility
>applies to the specific procedure described by the press release.

yes, plasticity would have been a better word,

>In fact, the "synapses" must really be simple electrical interactions,
>certainly not  chemical synapses.  In other words, the nanowires are
>just electrodes capable of recording from and stimulating the neuronal
>process which is attached.

will a change in chemistry alter the synaptic
connections in any way? or are the synapses and
axons permanently fixed? I pretty sure I saw a
film of the axons growing, moving to make connections
(maybe I'm wrong here) and then shrinking due to
atrophy (...maybe it was time-lapse) I hadn't thought
the connections between the neurons may form a
permanent architecture.
If the chemistry is altered in some way would this
have any effect on the action potential and alter
the electrical activity causing an overload? where
will the excess current go?

>And where are the artificial axons you ask about?  Do you mean simply
>"wire", a structure capable of propagating an electrical potential
>along its length?

 The published photograph looks something like this,

 _ | _
 _ | _  }-artificial synapses branching off
 _ | _
 _ | _
   |    <-axon natural
   O    <-neuron natural