[Neuroscience] Aspiration of buffer during electrophysiology

Fri Aug 3 03:46:08 EST 2007

Hi,

Long story short, on one rig I can't aspirate buffer without a current/
voltage spike during each little slurp, you know each tiny pick up of
fluid.

This is not normally a problem I have, we use a variety of methods to
remove buffer over brain slices or cultured neurons, all involving
high volume suction so that the removal of fluid is accompanied by a
large volume of air, hopefully removing the ability of the suction
line to act as an aerial, by breaking it up with air.

But for some reason this is not working on this rig (I've tried
various types of tubing, suction generators and such). The only thing
that worked was using a metal syringe to suck up the fluid, and then
earthing that metal syringe, i.e. a second earth in the bath = sin.

How do other people aspirate buffer during E-phys recordings? Any
ideas of my problem?

Thanks.