[Neuroscience] Re: gap juntions

Sat Aug 4 18:32:44 EST 2007

On Aug 4, 4:26 am, "Karthik Rajasekaran" <k... from virginia.edu> wrote:
> Hi
> I am just curious to know if gap junctions can be studied
> electrophysiologically in a brain slice akin to studying chemical synapses?
> Thanks.
> Karthik

Absolutely. Paired whole-cell recording is probably the most direct
way. Large current steps in neuron A, in both hyperpolarizing and
depolarizing directions induce a similar, but much smaller voltage
change in neuron B, and of course, from neuron B back to neuron A.

See:
http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/25/2/291

You can also use fill neuron A with a dye, and watch it fill
neighbouring, electrically coupled neurons.