[Neuroscience] Aspiration of buffer during electrophysiology

Francis Burton via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by fburton from nyx.net)
Mon Aug 6 04:30:30 EST 2007

In article <mailman.532.1186371982.11350.neur-sci from net.bio.net>,
Trevor Lewis  <t.lewis from unsw.edu.au> wrote:
>I have a couple of tricks that I use to reduce both the electrical
>noise and the changes in bath solution level. Rather than use a very
>[...]
>With both these tricks I find that I can get away with a much less
>powerful suction and still get efficient solution exchange.

Good advice! Another tip which may help is to use grotty glass
tubing for suction. By 'grotty' I mean that one has allowed the
glass to become dirty and coated with algal (or maybe bacterial)
growth. This reduces surface tension locally and encourages a
continuous withdrawal of solution rather than it breaking up
into discrete 'slurps'. Obviously if cleanliness is especially
important, you may want to avoid any extraneous source of micro-
organisms. In my experience, however, this isn't a problem,
presumably due to the through-flow nature of perfusion.

(This tip was given to me by my PhD supervisor, Otto Hutter.)

Francis