[Neuroscience] Re: A hypothesis (Re: Can a single neuron release multiple neurotransmitters?)

Zachary Tong via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by polyfractal At gmail.com)
Wed Jan 3 10:15:02 EST 2007

Thanks to both of you for the replies.  I wasn't aware previously about
"fast" and "slow" transmitters.  I've got so much more research to do!
:)

A few more questions, if you guys don't mind.  While neurons may only be
able to release a few types of transmitters, is it safe to assume that
the post-synaptic end has many different types of receptors?  I've read
that neurons can build more receptors.  If a post-synaptic neuron
continually receives a large amount of one neurotransmitter, does it
start to create new receptors for that particular transmitter, thus
"strengthening" that connection the two neurons share?  It would make
sense that if the pre-synaptic synapse continually releases one type of
transmitter, the post-synaptic end would want to become more sensitive to
that type.

Some more misc. questions.  Its obvious that parts of the brain favor one
type of transmitter over another.  Its also true that the transmitter
itself doesn't affect the neuron, rather the neuron "decides" (for a lack
of a better term) how each transmitter will affect it.  Does this mean
that the brain happened to evolve with one area using dopamine while
another uses seretonin, but with no real practical difference?  Ie. could
the brain have evolved another way (say, switching the two) and still
function the same?  Is there any fundamental reason why one
neurotransmitter would be used in place of another, or was it just the
result of evolution in those particular parts of the brain?

Furthermore, the following quote explains that some receptors are
inhibitory on a certain neuron, while the same receptor on another neuron
is excitatory:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=mcb.section.6187

"One way of classifying synapses is whether the action of the
neurotransmitter tends to promote or inhibit the generation of an action
potential in the postsynaptic cell. Binding of a neurotransmitter to an
excitatory receptor opens a channel that admits Na+ ions or both Na+ and
K+ ions. These non-voltage-gated ion channels can be part of the receptor
protein or can be a separate protein that opens in response to a
cytosolic signal generated by the activated receptor. Channel opening
leads to depolarization of the postsynaptic plasma membrane, promoting
generation of an action potential. In contrast, binding of a
neurotransmitter to an inhibitory receptor on the postsynaptic cell
causes opening of K+ or Cl- channels. The resulting membrane
hyperpolarization inhibits generation of an action potential in the
postsynaptic cell."
<<
<<

How does one neuron "decide" while the brain is growing that a certain
receptor should open K+ channels while another neuron decides the exact
same receptor should open Na+ channels?  Is it completely random, but
doesn't affect the brain because the inherent plasticity makes up for it?
Or is there some order that defines which neurons do what?

Lastly, how long do neurotransmitters generally stay in a synapse before
reuptake or broken down by enzymes?

Thanks again, sorry for the barrage of questions.  If there is a book or
web-resource that you want to point me towards instead, that's just fine.
I have access to my university library, but trying to figure out which
book is helpful to my particular questions is frustrating at best.

-Zachary Tong

"John H." <j_hasenkam At yahoo.com.au> wrote in
news:1167832816.678362.224090 At i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: