[Neuroscience] Re: A hypothesis (Re: Can a single neuron release multiple neurotransmitters?)

John H. via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by j_hasenkam At yahoo.com.au)
Wed Jan 3 21:37:55 EST 2007

Zachary Tong wrote:
> Thanks to both of you for the replies.  I wasn't aware previously about
> "fast" and "slow" transmitters.  I've got so much more research to do!
> :)
>
> A few more questions, if you guys don't mind.  While neurons may only be
> able to release a few types of transmitters, is it safe to assume that
> the post-synaptic end has many different types of receptors?  I've read
> that neurons can build more receptors.  If a post-synaptic neuron
> continually receives a large amount of one neurotransmitter, does it
> start to create new receptors for that particular transmitter, thus
> "strengthening" that connection the two neurons share?  It would make
> sense that if the pre-synaptic synapse continually releases one type of
> transmitter, the post-synaptic end would want to become more sensitive to
> that type.

Can't be sure but know of one example that highlights what you're
driving at. CB 1 receptors - cannabinoid receptor. Cannabinoid
consumption slowly leads to the retraction of these receptor from the
cell surface. In one study the degree of cannabinoid tolerance was
found to be directly related to the loss of these receptors(mice). It
has been suggested that these receptors are then degraded and never
find their way back to the cell membrane, thus requiring gene
transcription to create new receptors. Hence, long continual pot
smoking radically alters the number of CB 1 receptors. Cessation, will,
hopefully, restore the receptor balance but that could take weeks if
not months.

> Some more misc. questions.  Its obvious that parts of the brain favor one
> type of transmitter over another.  Its also true that the transmitter
> itself doesn't affect the neuron, rather the neuron "decides" (for a lack
> of a better term) how each transmitter will affect it.  Does this mean
> that the brain happened to evolve with one area using dopamine while
> another uses seretonin, but with no real practical difference?  Ie. could
> the brain have evolved another way (say, switching the two) and still
> function the same?  Is there any fundamental reason why one
> neurotransmitter would be used in place of another, or was it just the
> result of evolution in those particular parts of the brain?
>
> Furthermore, the following quote explains that some receptors are
> inhibitory on a certain neuron, while the same receptor on another neuron
> is excitatory:
>

> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=mcb.section.6187
> >>
> "One way of classifying synapses is whether the action of the
> neurotransmitter tends to promote or inhibit the generation of an action
> potential in the postsynaptic cell. Binding of a neurotransmitter to an
> excitatory receptor opens a channel that admits Na+ ions or both Na+ and
> K+ ions. These non-voltage-gated ion channels can be part of the receptor
> protein or can be a separate protein that opens in response to a
> cytosolic signal generated by the activated receptor. Channel opening
> leads to depolarization of the postsynaptic plasma membrane, promoting
> generation of an action potential. In contrast, binding of a
> neurotransmitter to an inhibitory receptor on the postsynaptic cell
> causes opening of K+ or Cl- channels. The resulting membrane
> hyperpolarization inhibits generation of an action potential in the
> postsynaptic cell."

I *think* these are called "asymmetric neurons". Search for that term.

> <<
>
> How does one neuron "decide" while the brain is growing that a certain
> receptor should open K+ channels while another neuron decides the exact
> same receptor should open Na+ channels?  Is it completely random, but
> doesn't affect the brain because the inherent plasticity makes up for it?
> Or is there some order that defines which neurons do what?
>

> Lastly, how long do neurotransmitters generally stay in a synapse before
> reuptake or broken down by enzymes?

Have a look at Matt Jones website, both lab and bio page. He is a GABA
dude and you might find some data there on the length of time. I doubt
there is any fixed time, it will vary remarkably, depending on a host
of factors.

> Thanks again, sorry for the barrage of questions.  If there is a book or
> web-resource that you want to point me towards instead, that's just fine.
> I have access to my university library, but trying to figure out which
> book is helpful to my particular questions is frustrating at best.

Principles of Neuroscience, Kandel et al, might be a good starting
point. Depends how deep you wish to go, I doubt that most text books
will deal with these questions in any depth, you'll have to go find
some good review articles or primary literature.