[Neuroscience] Re: Need Help With Neuroscience-Related Article

John H. via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by j_hasenkam At yahoo.com.au)
Thu Jan 4 08:51:32 EST 2007

"Yet as the case of Gage and
    numerous subsequent individuals has shown, the self can
    plod on, albeit changed, after quite radical brain damage."

What 'plods on' is not a self but altered sets of behaviors. One of the
biggest psychosocial problems in brain injury is that the person can
often change so markedly as to become a completely different person.

And from today's reading

Article: A neuroanatomical model of passivity phenomena
Authors: Ralf-Peter Behrendt
Journal: Consciousness and Cognition 13 (2004) 579-609

"As it appears, one first needs to exorcise the notion I  from
psychological theory, before proceeding to explanatory models of
passivity."
Motor behaviour is conscious not because it is executed by some agency,
but because it is perceived.
For Jaspers (1946), too, our sense of volition stems from the conflict
of drives and not the
deliberation of an inner agent:

--
The experience of volition-Bennett and Hacker
(2003) reasoned-is merely a reflection of ''determination and

Off the top you might find Bennett and Hacker heavy going but at least
it will save you from many of the conceptual pitfalls that arise in cog
neuro. Eg. The typical interpretation of Libet's experiments is
predicated on a self, which probably goes some way to explaining all
the controversy therein. To give you an idea of how deeply ingrained
all this, this paper is from 2004. Long way to go dude ... . The answer
to "who am I" is "I am not". Or, as Albert Camus stated, "Forever shall
I be a stranger to myself." (The Myth of Sisyphus).

PS: I'm not a scientist, I am a Professor of Nihilism at the University
of Bullshit.