[Neuroscience] Re: Need Help With Neuroscience-Related Article

Glen M. Sizemore via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by gmsizemore2 At yahoo.com)
Thu Jan 4 11:25:27 EST 2007

"John H." <j_hasenkam At yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:1167918692.630485.222240 At s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> "Yet as the case of Gage and
>    numerous subsequent individuals has shown, the self can
>    plod on, albeit changed, after quite radical brain damage."
>
> What 'plods on' is not a self but altered sets of behaviors. One of the
> biggest psychosocial problems in brain injury is that the person can
> often change so markedly as to become a completely different person.
>
> And from today's reading
>
> Article: A neuroanatomical model of passivity phenomena
> Authors: Ralf-Peter Behrendt
> Journal: Consciousness and Cognition 13 (2004) 579-609
>

> "As it appears, one first needs to exorcise the notion I  from
> psychological theory, before proceeding to explanatory models of
> passivity."
> Motor behaviour is conscious not because it is executed by some agency,
> but because it is perceived.
> For Jaspers (1946), too, our sense of volition stems from the conflict
> of drives and not the
> deliberation of an inner agent:
>
> --
> The experience of volition-Bennett and Hacker
> (2003) reasoned-is merely a reflection of ''determination and
> persistence in pursuit of one s goals in the face of
> difficulties.''
> Project:
>
> Off the top you might find Bennett and Hacker heavy going but at least
> it will save you from many of the conceptual pitfalls that arise in cog
> neuro. Eg. The typical interpretation of Libet's experiments is
> predicated on a self, which probably goes some way to explaining all
> the controversy therein. To give you an idea of how deeply ingrained
> all this [is],

If you want to see how deeply ingrained this all is, one merely has to
witness the obfuscation, arrogance, intellectual dishonesty, and out-and-out
"thuggery" of "thinkers" like Matt Jones.

this paper is from 2004. Long way to go dude ... . The answer