[Neuroscience] Concept of apoptosis

britches At kittymail.com via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by britches At kittymail.com)
Mon Jan 22 09:29:08 EST 2007

Hello everyone,

I am not sure if this is the best place to ask for answers on my
questions, but I thought I should consult the experts. Recently in a
class I asked a few questions and was informed that the teacher simply
didn't know. These questions are framed from a very basic physiology of

psychology text.

These were my questions about the topic of apoptosis, I am refering to
the text in them, you can ignore that! Here are the questions I had
sent to my proffessor:

The Carlson text talks about apoptosis. I understand that apoptosis is
death of a cell due to a chemical signal it receives that activates
sort of self destruct genetic code inside the cell. However I have two
questions about this process. In reference to the founder cells that
help develop the ventricular zone, the text talks about them receiving
these "chemical signals" that turn on their self destruct genes, during

the end of the cortical development.
QUESTIONS:
1.Where specifically are these chemical signals coming from? Where are
they created?
2. By what mechanism are they transmitted?
3.  How does the creators and transmitors (answers to one and 2) know
to release them, by what process is this accomplished?
Another area directly relating to the apoptosis topic I need some
clarification on is that of neuron apoptosis. The text states that
neurons die by process of apoptosis. However, it then goes on to state
that neurons migrate and find a space or nitch for themselves, when it
finds its nitch, the postsynaptic cell creates and gives it a signal
that LETS it live or tells it to continue living. However, when a
neuron migrates and finds that a space is already taken, it dies. So
there is no chemical signal being sent to the neuron that dies, it dies

from a lack of a signal?
QUESTIONS:
4. If the maroon dies because it does not get a chemical signal, how is

this the same as apoptosis?
5. Does this mean that neurons have an automatically set up to destruct

and only by chemical permission they then do no self-destruct?
6. The text uses the word "permits" in reference to the life giving
signal from the postsynaptic cell to the surviving neuron, does this
then mean that the postsynaptic cell does in fact send a chemical to
kill any neurons attempting to move into an already occupied space?
7. What happens to the expired neuron tissue? Is it cleaned? Absorbed?
etc.

So if anyone can shed some light on any of these questions that would
be fantastic, or point me in a direction where I might find the
answers.

Thanks for any and all help.
-Stacy