[Neuroscience] Re: Concept of apoptosis

polly jo via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by jopower At yahoo.com)
Mon Jan 22 16:44:41 EST 2007

Hi Stacy,

I am new to neuroscience, however, hopefully can give
more info on the topic of apoptosis:

The premise is as follows:
PCD or programmed cell death is a genetic program that
gets activated. The idea first came from studies in
c.elegans (most of the work is from Sydney Brenner,
John Sulston and  H. Robert Horvitz's labs). C.elegans
is a tranparent free living worm, hermaphrodite and
has very specific (959) number of cells in the adult.
However, when these labs followed the development of
the worm, they found that it had 1090 cells, of which
131 die before reaching adulthood. The location and
the lineage and timing of each of the cells that die
is very precise, and can be followed in each animal.
Ergo: these cells are "programmed to die".
When the genetic pathways were dissected out, it was
found that there were specific genes that are
activated to carry out the "suicide plan". Eg: ced-3
ced-4. A loss of function mutation of these genes
actually reverses the death "pathway" and the worm has
supernumerary cells. They also found another gene that
acted as a "survival gene", where a gain of function
mutation or overexpression actually allowed the cells
to survive (it sort of overrode the program).

That is the basic premise....now to answer your
questions:

All these genes are highly conserved, ergo, the PCD
must be a phenomenon across species. In animals where
there are just too many cells, it is a not possible to
clearly demarcate the exact lineage of each cell.
However, it was observed that these cells, (in this
case we speak of neurons..although, PCD occurs in
other cell types and organ systems as well), die
through similar cell death pattern, and activate
similar death program (ergo, the conserved genes are
involved).

In case of neuron, the survival signal comes from the
functional synaptic connections that the neuron forms,
mediated through growth factors/integrins/kinase
activation and downstream phosphorylation events etc.

There are cases where either the removal of "survival
signal" or addition of "death signal" can trigger the
"death pathway".

After the cell dies, yes, it is cleaned up by
specialized cells like the macrophages or microglia.

hope that answers some of your questions.

best,
polly