[Neuroscience] Proof of visual consciousness

mantaintai At yahoo.com.cn via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by mantaintai At yahoo.com.cn)
Fri Jan 26 01:51:56 EST 2007

  Proof of visual consciousness

>From image formation by a plane mirror to the generation of (human)
visual consciousness

image formation by a plane mirror , visual consciousness, transform,
virtual image , overlap(superpose), dual identities, seeing an object

How could an object become visible when observed by the eyes of the
human beings, i.e., how could the electrochemical changes of the visual
cortex and cerebral cortex be transformed into an object? Apparently,
this transformation would never occur if we take the word
"transformation" by the common sense. However, given the fact we
could indeed see an object, the changes in the visual and cerebral
cortex MUST have already been transformed into an object. Therefore,
"transformation" here should have other implications more profound
than commonly understood , and we ought to find out the mechanism and
pathway involved in this process.

The electrochemical changes in the visual and cerebral cortex must be
firstly translated into an image. Then this image ought be changed into
the corresponding object. In comparison with image formation by a plane
mirror, we would elucidate the mechanisms and pathways of these most
unexpected transformations, with an effort to reveal the mystery of
visual consciousness .

Does it hold true that the mirror itself produces the image (a virtual
image) formed by a plane mirror? Definitely no. The virtual image is
produced by the brains of human beings and animals, rather than by the
mirror itself.

Can it be more clearly demonstrated that the virtual image is generated
via the brain, than analyzing the process during which the light enters
into a plane mirror from the object, and then gets into the eyes and
brain, thus leading to the visualization of the virtual image?
Can we assume that there exists a virtual image before the light enters
the eyes? Of course we cannot.

The single role a plane mirror plays in the whole process is the
reflection of light. However, after entering into the eyes, do not
these reflected lights need further procession by the brain? The
eventual result of this procession is seeing the virtual image.

The reason why we are capable of taking photos of an object while
taking pictures facing the plane mirror with a camer is NOT due to our
capability to capture a virtual image, as there is no real light given
out by the virtual image; rather, it lies in the fact that the
reflected light is able to enter into the lens of the camera.

As shown by Fig A, the convergence of the inverse expansion lines helps
to explain the position of a virtual point. However, neither the
virtual points nor the virtual images are produced by the convergence
of the inverse expansion lines, as the latter are not actual entities
while the former are existing facts. How could a non-existing inverse
expansion line be used to explain the existing actual fact of a virtual
image? In fact, it is exactly the mechanism of image generation in the
brain that defines the laws(/rules) of image formation by a plane
mirror.

What is the ultimate role for the fact that the brain is capable of
producing (/generating) an image( virtual image)?
Actually, it is exactlly this capability that enables a human being to
achieve the final results, i.e. , seeing an object, during the process
of visual consciousness generation.

In the following, we will explain how the brain sees an object when
obseved by a human being.

As shown by Fig B, when an object A is observed by the eyes and the
brain O, a
virtual image A' is fomed (/produced) in the first place, which
possesses two unique
characteristics.

Firstly, it is exactlly identical to the object A itself. Secondly, and
the most strikingly,
it can be filled with the corresponding object, resulting in what we
called the
overlapping=A3=A8superposing) of an object with its virtual image.

Only the virtual image itself can be entirely overlapped(superposed) by
the related object, and the space a virtual image occupys is called the
virtual space , while the space of an object is defined as the physical
space.

Fig C shows that the virtual image A' and the object A are
overlapped(superposed), leading to the presentation of both A' and A in
the same position. Because the virtual image A' and the corresponding
object A utilize an identical image after overlapping on each other,So,
the image here has dual identities, with one as a virtual image and the
other a physical object. The image has an extra character ,The image
becomes the object A.
Thus, as we see the virtual image A', we are actually observing the
object A itself.

It becomes apparent that the final result of visual consciousness is
achieved via a
two-step process, i.e., the formation of a virtual image in the first
place, and
secondly the overlapping(superposing) of this virtual image with the
corresponding object.

It is the process of overlapping(superposing) that turns a virtual
image into a visible object. This unique character( of a virtual image)
is best utilized in a most perfect and magic way during the final stage
of visual consciousness.

A A'
____|______|______0 =A3=A8the eyes and the brain =A3=A9
B Fig