[Neuroscience] Re: why did humans grow a bigger neocortex?

polly jo via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by jopower from yahoo.com)
Fri Jul 20 10:06:34 EST 2007

--- "John H." <bingblat from goaway.com.au> wrote:

> More Technical but he is a king in this area: Joseph
> Le doux: The Emotional
> Brain.
>
> Damasio: The Feeling for What Happens (About
> Consciousness).
>
> Also look up the work of Robert Sapolsky. eg. Junk
> Food Monkeys.

More Technical but he is a king in this area: Joseph
> Le doux: The Emotional
> Brain.
>
> Damasio: The Feeling for What Happens (About
> Consciousness).

I have'nt read Le Doux, however, the Feeling of what
happens is rather intriguing and convincing in the way
it is written. Ofcourse, when one reads the books one
cannot dissociate from one's own "feelings and
emotions" so some of the concepts may appear to be
true. Having said that it would'nt be hard to imagine
for humans to form complex social sturctures and
heirarchies, "emotional intelligence" (I am using a
loose term) would have played a very important role.

Ergo, one could make a conjecture that formation of
memories and recall pathways would be linked to the
are linked to the limbic system rather intimately.

As far as conciousness is concerned, some people
consider awareness and conciousness as synonymous.
Benjamin Libet's work actually gives a rather
objective focus to the definition debate, in terms of
the time taken fo0r the subjective "conscious
experience"  to be a uniform 500 ms. Again, these
studies are in the humans, so one cannot say how a
mouse of a dog "consciousness" works.

Intuitively though I would tend to agree that there
are levels of it.

Sometimes I ca'nt help wonder if it is'nt a little
recursive to understand how ones' brain works with
ones' own brain :)))

Pow

> Also look up the work of Robert Sapolsky. eg. Junk
> Food Monkeys.
>
> "rAgAv" <ragav.payne from googlemail.com> wrote in
> message
>

> "rAgAv" <ragav.payne from googlemail.com> wrote in
> message

news:1184596311.234714.293790 from g37g2000prf.googlegroups.com...