[Neuroscience] Re: Minimizing stimulus artifacts

Thu Mar 1 17:53:24 EST 2007

On Mar 2, 8:37 am, "Aric Agmon" <aric.ag... from gmail.com> wrote:
> Bill (and Christian),
>
> Without knowing very much about your recording setup, here are two tips that may help:
> 1. Always use a separate ground for your stimulus (don't share the headstage ground)
> 2. The recording electrode and the stimulator ground electrode should be, as much as possible, symmetrically arranged relative to the stimulation electrode (e.g. on opposite sides of it).
>
> Aric.

Thanks for the comments, though I'm a bit confused.
When you're talking about "grounding" your stimulus, do you mean like
the ground pole on the bipolar stimulator? Or do you mean the ground
pin on the stimulus isolator? If the later, I have always grounded the
stimulus isolator to the faraday cage or chassis ground. Are you
suggesting I should ground it directly to the bath?

Also, when it comes to shielding the electrodes from one another, I'm
not quite sure how I could do that, as both electrodes poke under a
water immersion DIC lens. Or should I try wrapping foil around the two
leads which power the stimulating electrode?