[Neuroscience] Q on vestibular system: Acceleration or velocity?

Mathias via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by mathiasDOTfranzius from webDELETEME.de)
Tue Mar 6 06:15:31 EST 2007

Dear ng,

I'm looking for a reference about whether the vestibular system yields
an acceleration and/or velocity signal (e.g. used for the head direction
and place cell system). Googling for this I found a website...
http://paperairplane.mit.edu/16.423J/Space/SBE/neurovestibular/NeuroVestibular/2_Physiology/PhysSub3.html
... that claims the vestibular system outputs a velocity and not an
acceleration signal "over the range of normal head movements".
Unfortunately there is no reference and I'm not even certain about which
species they talk.

Any reference on this topic would be highly appreciated,
    Mathias