[Neuroscience] Re: Looking for rat trajectories

jonesmat via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by jonesmat from physiology.wisc.edu)
Thu Mar 8 19:05:41 EST 2007

On Feb 26, 10:26 am, Mathias <mathiasDOTfranz... from webDELETEME.de>
wrote:
> Dear ng,
>
> My model for the generation of hippocampal place fields strongly depends
> on the movement statistics of the animal.
> Can someone provide me the trajectories of a rat moving in an
> experimental setup, preferably position and head direction?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>     Mathias

Hi Mathias,

I think you would be best off directly contacting laboratories who
perform recordings from place cells while tracking both position and
head direction. The labs that spring immediately to mind are Bruce
McNaughton, Matt Wilson and Edvard Moser. You might look up some of
their papers and directly email the *first* author (i.e., probably the
person who did the experiments, and probably a student or postdoc who
has just enough spare time to respond to a polite email request). If
you state in your email that you are open to a formal collaboration,
that will probably improve your chances of actually getting some data.
This has worked for me in the past, a kind postdoc from the Wilson lab
let me have a number of high quality files of both position and
multiunit recordings.

Matt