[Neuroscience] Biocytin labeling in adult brain slices

Hyunchul Lee via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by hlee from medsci.usyd.edu.au)
Thu Mar 15 02:04:06 EST 2007

Okay, I see...
In our experience, filling cells by diffusion alone hasn't been very
reliable.  I thoroughly recommend iontophoresis, even given your long
recording times.
I also think neurobiotin does fill cells better, and is easier to
prepare too.  We don't even bother to vortex our intracellular solution
after adding neurobiotin, since it dissolves quite quickly on its own.
As for how long you wait till fixation... normally we wait ~30 minutes
just so that any extracellular biocytin/neurobiotin may be metabolized
and hence reduce noise from any leaks.  You can leave it for an hour or
two... in theory it should last for at least 24 hours intracellularly
(though I haven't tried that).  However, I was thinking more about what
you said about your tissue being gliotic..

Hyunchul