[Neuroscience] Re: A commen voltage-sensitive cation-channel in a single-cell organisme 1.4 billion years ago.

Michael Weber via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by no from more.spam)
Mon Mar 19 18:10:14 EST 2007

"r norman" <r_s_norman from _comcast.net> skrev i en meddelelse
news:mc3uv29m99sbkric8ohg1ku4hf113tk7q4 from 4ax.com...
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:32:58 +0100, "Michael Weber" <no from more.spam>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi.
> >
> >In relations to neural networks in comp. science,
> >I am reading "Principles of Neural Science" by Kandel/Schwartz/Jessell.
> >
> >In it it mentions (on page 164) that there is evidence that
> >voltage-sensitive cation-channels
> >stems from a commen ancestral channel that can be traced back to a
> >single-cell organisme that
> >lived 1.4 billions years ago.
> >Unfortunably it does not mention the name of that organisme.
> >
> >Do anyone know the name of that single-celled organisme ?
> >( Just the name would be fine so I have something concrete "to google"
on)

> There is no specific named organism.   But the widespread distribution
> of homologous proteins in a wide diversity of groups indicates that
> they must have derived from a common ancestor that possessed that
> protein.  Times are derived from amount of variation measured between
> the groups.  In other words, if the protein is found both in
> eubacteria  and archea, then it is presumed to have been in the common
> ancestor which dates back to perhaps that time.  There is absolutely
> no information about just what the common ancestor was.

Thank You for Your reply.

Best regards
Michael Weber