[Neuroscience] Re: Movement and the Brain

Kalman Rubinson via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by kr4 from nyu.edu)
Fri Mar 23 16:21:17 EST 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:29:30 +0100, "neil sharp" <neilsharp from gmx.co.uk>
wrote:

>I have heard that "during waking 96-98% of our brain's activity is concerned with movement". Obviously given the part that vision, the vestibular apparatus and proprioception play in our sense of self in space and the view that perception is a simulation of action, neural activity related to movement is proportionatley large.
>
>Does anyone have a reference for such a percentage statement and view on what "98% of brain activity" means.

It means little.  If you add up all the percentages attributed to
movement, vision, somatic sensation, etc., your total is in the
hundreds of percents.  In other words, many of the same areas
participate in many functions and this is not surprising since
integrated behavior in any sphere requires activity in many systems.

Kal