[Neuroscience] Re: Regarding ACSF LTP field recordings in dentate gyrus

Sun Mar 25 20:26:54 EST 2007

DG local FP are a bit tricky. The classical way to get FPs bigger is
to move to an interface chamber instead of a submersion chamber; or at
the very least get the submersion level as shallow as possible, to
stop your signals being sunk in the aCSF.

When I was recording from DG granule cells I found that incubating the
slices for 20-40minutes in 35ºC aCSF suplimented with 1mM Na-ascorbate
and 3mM Na-pyruvate before returning them to room temp really helped
them look healthier.

Finally, and this may be baseless dogma, but I was told that you need
to stimulate at the same level you record from, i.e. if you stimulate
the medial perforant path you need to have your recording electrode
near the granule cell layer, if you stimulate the lateral perforant
path, you need to record away from the granule layer.