[Neuroscience] Hippocampal gross anatomical location

Hosley via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by kbrownk from gmail.com)
Wed May 2 02:31:34 EST 2007

Hi there,

I need some help regarding the hippocampus. I have a figure of a rat
hippocampal slice I need to describe, and I cannot find any
information about its direction or what type of slice it might be
(mediolateral, coronal etc). It is easiest to show using a picture, so
if you don't mind please take a look at the following link, which
shows a similar figure to the one I'm using:

http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Synaptic/info/pathway/figs/hippocampus.gif

I want to add a compass legend, like the ones with perpendicular
arrows that depict North, East, South, West, except with anatomical
directions such as dorsal, caudal, caudolateral, or whatever the
directions may be.

I can email the cartoon of the slice I made if that would be better.

If you do not want to follow the link, I've included a description
below, but it is a little painful to read, so don't unless you have
to:

The slice I have shows the interlocking and opposing "Cs", where the
bigger "C" is the stratum pyramidale (sp), and the smaller "c" is the
stratum granulosum (s.g.). Any idea what type of slice this is? Can
someone direct me as to what direction the two Cs are oriented in? My
guess is that past s.g. to the dentate gyrus is caudolateral (though
since the image is 2D it is impossible to tell how lateral, so I may
be better off calling it just caudal), beyond the CA3 thru the sp in
the opposite direction iwould then be rostromedial. These would be my
West and East directions, respectively given the slice I'm looking at.
The North I believe would be dorsal and south ventral.

Thank you so much for any help!

Hos